Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mike Miller a democrat against gay marriage

Mike Miller leads the Democrats in the Maryland state senate.
He claims he's against gay marriage:

Maryland Senate President Mike Miller (D) spoke out against Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) push for marriage equality, describing the effort as “an attack on traditional families” this morning onThe Marc Steiner Show. “I don’t want to sound like one of the Republican candidates for President,” Miller joked, “but I am what I am.” Miller said he would vote against any legislation allowing gays and lesbians to marry,


but,but,but,but, (no pun intended)



 promised to hold an open vote on the issue and predicted it would pass in the Senate:
MILLER: I’m a father married for 50 years, I got 5 children, I got 13 grandchildren, I’m a traditionalist. But at the same time, I’m also a Democrat and in terms of allowing the majority view prevail — democracy, all voices heard at all times. [...]
I’m a historian and I look at civilizations, I study civilizations, I read history every night. And I see it’s an attack on the family, I think it’s an attack on traditional families. That’s the way I see it.

This is outrageous. If you are the leader of our party and standing for traditional marriage, then you need to fight for it, not cave under political pressure.  Or is it that he really supports gay rights and is posturing for political reasons?

There have been legendary stories about how legislation throughout our nation is bottled up by big party bosses.  Miller should continue the tradition, and then furthermore educate the public, and win the hearts and minds of Democrats against gay marriage. 

No comments: