Monday, May 4, 2009

Accept Specter on Democratic terms

I'm assuming President Obama and Senate Democrats know more than I do about Arlen Specter's commitment to our agenda. They after all were the ones who won elections in 2006 and 2008 that I didn't think possible.

So, I'm assuming that Specter's declaration that he is an independent is just talk, and he will be put to the test before 2010. Perhaps on healthcare or some other important issue.

The truth be told, Specter is probably my type of Democrat. He is less tied to our special interest groups and has a greater ability to be truly open-minded.

But party is party. America works because we have a good system.

Democrats should demand that Specter help us out in a tangible way or else dump him.

Democrats will win the 2010 Penn. Senate seat under most normal circumstances, so we are in the drivers seat.

When you are in a powerful position it is important to be powerful.

No comments: