new NBA commissioner Adam Silver's priorities
First of all, the NBA won't overtake the NFL in a positive sense. Meaning, without the total collapse of the NFL because of scandal or mismanagement.
But let's say that we had to come up with a plan:
1. Dramatically shrink the schedule to 41 games. Start the season on Christmas day. Play no more than 2 games maximum a week.
2. Shrink the number of playoff teams to 12. Two first round byes in each league. First round best of 3 games all at home for team with best record. Next round best of 7 games with 5 at home and 2 on road (h-h-r-hhr-h). Championship rounds best 7( hh-rrr-hh). The team with the best record gets home court advantage. Seeding determined by divisions and wild cards. This would make the games more meaningful.
4. Develop a robust minor league system between college and the pros, using baseball minor leagues as model. Have those small town teams linked to a big league city
5. Shorten the games to 40 minutes.
6. encourage and allow more personality on the court.
7. Then wake up, because NFL is still king!