If they didn't...
1. They'd actually talk about it, and not think it was a side issue to the economy.
2. They would not allow so many homosexuals to be among their party elite.
3. They wouldn't have nominated moderate Mitt Romney at such a crucial moment
4. They would use some of their billions to produce movies/tv/music with good messages
5. They would promote policies to protect the institution the same way they always try to cut taxes
mandatory waiting periods to get married
eliminate no fault divorce
marriage tax bonus for once/widowed marriages
ban prenuptial agreements
designate any property communal-marriage property no matter how/when gotten
we need Democrats against gay marriage