Thursday, January 24, 2008

Media has Anti-Christian bias

Dana Jacobson of ESPN had an offensive outburst that included cursing "Jesus". She apparently was intoxicated at a "roast" for ESPN's morning hosts Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg. Here is how the Huffingtonpost reported it:

Add ESPN's Dana Jacobson's name to the list of media members who recently found themselves in trouble because of inappropriate comments or actions.
Sources have confirmed that Jacobson, a co-host of "First Take" on ESPN2, currently is serving a one-week suspension because of her behavior at a Jan. 11 roast for ESPN Radio personalities Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic at Atlantic City, N.J.
While declining to confirm Jacobson had been suspended, ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said, "Her actions and comments were inappropriate and we've dealt with it."
Read more about Dana's ESPN suspension.
From
FanHouse's Michael David Smith
Jacobson reportedly said "F*** Notre Dame," "F*** Touchdown Jesus," and "F*** Jesus" in an attempt to talk trash to Mike and Mike co-host Mike Golic, a former Notre Dame football player.
An ESPN spokesman e-mailed me the following statements:
From ESPN: "Her actions and comments were inapprorpriate and we have dealt with it."
From Dana: "I am very sorry. My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. I also deeply regret the embarrassment I have caused ESPN and Mike and Mike. My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I really am. I have personally apologized to many of the people involved. I won't make excuses for my behavior but do hope that I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment."
According to the Catholic League, it remains unclear whether Jacobson actually said "F*** Jesus" or if she just said "F*** Notre Dame." In the event that she did say "F*** Jesus," the Catholic League will argue for a harsher penalty than one week's suspension.
Read more about the Catholic League's response
here.
For more information on who Dana Jacobson is and a comprehensive bio, see
here.

Imagine this being about African Americans, Jewish people, or other specially protected groups. I can't imagine she would get just a 1 week suspension. I think she would have been fired; Suspended for much longer at a minimum. Also, there would be much more media attention to "what would cause a person" to make such statements.

I have a consistent point of view. I believe in free speech. Even though the Constitution only protects citizens from being punished for unpopular speech FROM THE GOVERNMENT; I believe this principle should be practiced voluntarily in civil society. There is a difference between a person making a bad joke or making horrible statements when "not in their right mind", and a person who we determine has a hateful heart.

I support any person who I deem to have a good heart to either misspeak, make a bad joke, or present something in a bad fashion. I gather all of the available information and make that judgement. If I determine they are on a mission to disparage any group of Americans that don't deserve it, I would support their firing. Jacobson is a typical liberal who has a good heart, and I believe is a good person.

Yet, Christians should not be on the, "you get to take a free shot at" list. No group of Americans should be excluded from the politically correct rules. If the rules exist against comments about Jews then the same should be for Christians.

No comments: