If Democrats are smart they will win the 2016 Presidential election in the next 6 months. Here's how:
1. Let everyone know and get used to the fact that a (white) female will lead the Democratic ticket
2. Further that it is likely that the VP choice will also be a woman- see the same list above
3. President Obama sign as expansive an executive order on Immigration that can be defended
4. Implement Obamacare well and get as many people signed up as possible
5. Defend President Obama personally and professionally in a positive way. That means not just responding to charges but asserting a positive/true account of his historic Presidency from turning around from the Great Recession, saving the Auto industry, saving our banking system, Obamacare, eliminating Bin Laden, and more...
At the end of the day, politics is about demographics and personal interest. White women will want to see themselves in power. Latinos will need to vote Democrat to protect the EO and push for permanent legislation, Millions will want to protect their healthcare, and African Americans will want to rally to support the President's legacy.
It's important to advance the positive narrative of the Obama years now because as in 2010 and 2014, otherwise Republicans will lie their way into power.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a strong agenda for 2016:
-criminal justice reform
-winding down current military tours
-fix Obamacare to make it work better
-major tax reform
But it's not necessary or even wise to ignore the structural reality that can be set up.