There are numerous stories talking about the sagging poll numbers for the President. For the first time in his administration Gallup has his job approval below 50%, while others like Rasmussen seem to produce more negative numbers daily.
But if the election were held today...
President Obama would be elected in a landslide.
He has no credible Democratic opponent.
In the General Election, once again he would outspend his opponent with other notable advantages:
1. This would be the last time he would be on the ballot, so the emotional pitch to young and minority voters would be an easy sell.
2. The hyper-partisan Republican opposition would finally have an opponent. Right now, they have the field to themselves, but with an election both sides would become fully engaged.
3. The media that is now searching for conflict and inflating the importance of Republicans would resume their former roles as cheerleaders for "history".
Also, Obama would have the ability to make clear convincing arguments:
1. universally agreed policies brought us back from the brink of another Depression.
2. will have reformed healthcare
3. plan to exit Iraq and Afganistan
4. better world relations
If things change, I'll note it, but for now it still looks like an Obama landslide in 2012.