Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Obama supports radical gay rights agenda

Over the past few weeks, Senator Obama has made an effort to appeal to middle America. I expect Senator Obama to have to move to the center on the issue of Gay Rights also. This will be necessary for a variety of reasons but especially because of a debate performance in 2007. There, Obama endorsed both explicity and implicity, Sen. Edwards' comments about it being proper for second graders to read/discuss a gay love story. In fact, Edwards went further and said he didn't feel it was his place to "impose" his views of right/wrong on his kids.

Newsflash to both Edwards/Obama: Parents are absolutely supposed to "impose" their views of right/wrong on kids. They are too young to know for themselves. They need protection. This is the bedrock of parent/children relationships. Also, we don't believe in letting schools decide moral issues, but rather parents deciding for their families. Interestingly if you read the entire transcript, Hillary Clinton was the closest of the 3 main contenders to realize how ridiculous they all sounded, though she too tried to pander to the left, albeit with a somewhat muted tone.
----

From September 26,2007 Democratic Candidates debate

Here's a question that was initially asked of John Edwards, and then forwarded to both Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama (the 3 leading candidates at the time):

KING: Thanks, Tim.The issues surrounding gay rights have been hotly debated here in New England. For example, last year some parents of second-graders in Lexington, Massachusetts, were outraged to learn their children's teacher had read a story about same-sex marriage, about a prince who marries another prince. Same-sex marriage is legal in Massachusetts but most of you oppose it. Would you be comfortable having this story read to your children as part of their school curriculum?


John Edwards' answer is important because Obama references it, so here is Edwards
(my bold):

EDWARDS: Yes, absolutely. What I want is I want my children to understand everything about the difficulties that gay and lesbian couples are faced with everyday, the discrimination that they're faced with every single day of their lives.

EDWARDS: And I suspect my two younger children, Emma Claire,who's 9, and Jack, who's 7, will reach the same conclusion that mydaughter Cate, who's 25, has reached, which is she doesn't understand why her dad is not in favor of same-sex marriage. And she says her generation will be the generation that brings about the great change in America on that issue.So I don't want to make that decision on behalf of my children.I want my children to be able to make that decision on behalf ofthemselves, and I want them to be exposed to all the information, evenin -- did you say second grade? Second grade might be a little tough,but even in second grade to be exposed to all...

KING: Well, that's the point. It is second grade.

EDWARDS: ... those possibilities, because I don't want to impose my view. Nobody made me God. I don't get to decide on behalf of myfamily or my children, as my wife Elizabeth has spoken her own mind onthis issue. I don't get to impose on them what it is that I believe is right.

EDWARDS: But what I will do as president of the United States is I will lead an effort to make sure that the same benefits that areavailable to heterosexual couples -- 1,100 roughly benefits in thefederal government -- are available to same-sex couples; that we getrid of DOMA, the Defense of Marriage Act; that we get rid of "don'task/don't tell," which is wrong today and was wrong when it wasenacted back in the 1990s.I will be the president that leads a serious effort to deal withthe discrimination that exists today.

KING: Thank you.Senator Obama, you have young children at home. How do you feel about this?

OBAMA: You know, I feel very similar to John. You know, the fact is my 9-year-old and my 6-year-old I think are already aware that there are same-sex couples. My wife and I have talked about it. One of the things I want to communicate to my children is not to be afraidof people who are different, because there have been times in ourhistory where I was considered different, or Bill Richardson wasconsidered different.

OBAMA: And one of the things I think the next president has todo is to stop fanning people's fears. If we spend all our time feeding the American people fear and conflict and division, then they become fearful and conflicted and divided. And if we feed them hope and we feed them reason and tolerance,then they will become tolerant and reasonable and hopeful. And that I think is one of the most important things that thenext president can do, is try to bring us together, and stop trying tofan the flames of division that have become so standard in ourpolitics in Washington. That's the kind of experience, by the way,that we need to put an end to.

KING: Quickly, have you sat down with your daughters to talkabout same-sex marriage?

OBAMA: My wife has.

KING: She has. OK.
--------

Notice how both Edwards and Obama tried to switch the topic to "discrimination" and "toleration" rather than what the question was about: "acceptance" as a normal way of life in the public school curriculum whether you as a parent agree/disagree. I will be shocked at the Republican ineptitude if they don't identify this and magnify it for what it is: an example of left-wing elitism trying to supplant the traditional moral values of middle America. In addition, the idea that parents shouldn't be the controlling force but rather school boards and others is utterly objectionable.

No comments: